Q: Which Mistakes Must You Avoid When Selling Your Home?
Here are the seven mistakes you must avoid as a home seller.
If you’re listing your home soon, there are seven critical mistakes you must avoid if you want to sell quickly and for top dollar:
1. Picking the wrong agent. Pick someone who’s experienced and has sold a lot of properties. If you need heart surgery, you’ll probably want to pick a heart surgeon who’s performed a lot of surgeries, right? Unfortunately, the majority of agents don’t sell a lot of properties. The average agent only sells about five homes a year, whereas our team averages over 100 annual sales. Your agent should also have their thumb on the pulse of the market, and have a solid marketing plan for your home.
2. Overpricing your property. Consumers are well-educated these days and can find out everything they need to know online, so they’ll know whether or not your property is overpriced. If it is, they won’t bother seeing it in person. The longer your property sits on the market, the staler it becomes, which will eventually force you to drop the price. Doing that will only make buyers sit on the fence longer. They figure if you’ve dropped the price once, they might as well wait to see if you’ll do it again.
3. Only considering the highest-priced offer. An offer is 13 pages long, and price is just one item on it. For your situation, perhaps you need to stay in the house longer or require a shorter, simpler escrow. There may be an offer out there that has a lower price but meets more of your criteria and carries fewer risks.
The longer your property sits on the market, the staler it becomes.
4. Not getting your home ready. In other words, failing to make good repairs on it. Perhaps some areas need to be repainted, or tiles on the roof need to be replaced. No one is saying you need to remodel your whole kitchen, but little things like that go a long way in highlighting your property.
5. Not allowing showings. For example, if you go live on the market on a Thursday and decline showings that Saturday, that’s a big mistake. That’s when buyers are off work and viewing properties with their agent. If they viewed 10 houses and yours wasn’t one of them, they’ll choose one of the houses they did see to make an offer on.
6. Getting too emotional. Always treat your home sale as a business transaction.
7. Not decluttering. You’re selling the home, so you might as well start packing everything up in boxes and storing it in a pod or in the garage. This way buyers will focus on the house itself when viewing it online and not be distracted by all of the stuff inside it.
If you have more questions about how to sell quickly and for top dollar or are thinking of buying a home soon, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’m happy to help.